Conditions Report: Friday, November 24th 2017, 6:09 am

Good morning shredders! Here is your daily dose of Mt. Bachelor conditions:

11:00 A.M. THURSDAY UPDATE

As expected, this past week’s episode of warm and wet weather took its toll. The temperature is forecast to drop throughout the night and into Friday morning, and with a firmer snow surface projected, we’ve scheduled an overnight grooming shift so the team can begin putting the mountain back together. But the rain damage is severe. The snow has disappeared from lift unloading areas and there are ponds of water scattered throughout each of our base areas. The situation is particularly troublesome near the top of Pine Marten lift, where the trifecta of rain, high humidity and warm wind has melted most of the snow. Consequently, Pine Marten lift cannot reopen until after the next snow storm.

That said, we’re not giving up. The Mt. Bachelor team is working together to create a skiing and snowboarding opportunity for you this weekend. We are moving the snow around and are rebuilding the lift unloading ramps. We will reopen Friday morning.

FRIDAY’S PLAN

Mt. Bachelor will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Friday with the Sunshine Accelerator lift in operation. Lift tickets prices will be $39 for all ages. The grooming, patrol and lift teams will spend the morning at the Skyliner and Sunrise lifts, assessing the conditions and moving snow, if possible, in an attempt to open those two lifts by 11:00 a.m. No guarantees, but we will give it our best effort. Lift ticket prices will remain at $39 even if Skyliner and Sunrise are added.

Because Skyliner lift’s operating status is questionable, the Skyliner/JRC parking area will be closed on Friday. Everyone should plan on parking at West Village, where all services will be open and available.

We’re also planning to reopen the Nordic Center on Friday with the best product we can put together, given the conditions. The Snowblast Tubing Park’s opening date has been postponed, most likely until next Friday, December 1.

For those of you panning to ski or ride Friday and/or this weekend, please be aware that snow coverage will be extremely thin in places. You may encounter patches of straw or hay in certain areas – this is a tactic we use when we’re dealing with low-snow conditions, as it covers bare spots and helps prevent further snow melt. Please ski or ride extra cautiously and expect numerous marked and unmarked obstacles, natural and human-made.

SATURDAY, SUNDAY AND BEYOND…

We are planning to operate through the weekend and beyond, but can’t yet provide any specific information about what lifts and terrain will be open just yet. We’ll need to see what kind of results we get from Friday’s efforts before we can communicate lift and terrain details beyond Friday. The good news is that we are forecast to receive significant snow Sunday into Monday. That should really help heal-up the mountain and improve the conditions for next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours… and let’s all send positive thoughts to Mother Nature for better weather in the days and weeks to come!

Snowfall Data West Village

snowfall_since_3_pm 0
snowfall_last_24_hours 0
snowfall_last_3_days 0
snowfall_last_7_days 1
snowfall_season 107

Snowfall Data Mid Mountain

snowfall_since_3_pm 0
snowfall_last_24_hours 0
snowfall_last_3_days 0
snowfall_last_7_days 1
snowfall_season 114

Weather Sensor Data

time Nov 24, 2017 06:00 AM
wv-base
wv-temp
sunrise-temp 0
pine-temp 20.04
northwest-temp 18.68
summit-temp
wv-rh
pine-rh 100
summit-rh
sunrise-wind-avg
sunrise-wind-max
sunrise-wind-dir
pine-wind-avg 26
pine-wind-max 32
pine-wind-dir 279
northwest-wind-avg 3
northwest-wind-max 6
northwest-wind-dir 288
summit-wind-avg
summit-wind-max
summit-wind-dir

Weather data, conditions quote, and webcam images are from lovely folks at mtbachelor.com