Conditions Report: Monday, November 20th 2017, 6:02 am

Good morning shredders! Here is your daily dose of Mt. Bachelor conditions:

96 Hour Lift Ticket Sale

The best lift ticket deal of the season is on!  Buy a 3-of-5 day or a 4-of-6 day lift ticket for as low as $169. Holiday and non-holiday versions available. Act fast – the sale ends at Noon on Monday, November 20, or sooner if tickets sell-out.

Buy Discounted Lift Tickets

This Week’s Plan

Well… it was fun while it lasted.  The past two days have featured the best opening conditions we’ve had in a very long time. But now, things are changing, and not for the better.

With disappointment, we must announce that Mt. Bachelor will be closed Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. The weather forecasts have taken a significant turn for the worse and now periods of heavy rain, strong wind and unusually warm temperatures are projected to hit us hard – from Monday through Thanksgiving Day. If it was the middle of winter, we would push through and turn the lifts for the hearty souls among us. But with the snowpack so thin, we are particularly vulnerable to rain damage. A shallow depth of soft and saturated snow means that grooming machines will sink through it, churning up dirt & rock and mixing it in with the snow. Skiers and snowboarders have the same impact, albeit to a lesser degree. For these reasons, and in an effort to preserve the snow so it can last until more snow arrives, we’ve made the difficult decision to stay off of it during the warm spell.

We realize many of you made plans to ski or snowboard this week, with some of you hearing directly from our staff that we were going to be open. That was the plan. After reviewing the updated weather forecast, however, we’ve modified our plans accordingly. We know you want us to be open, and we want to be open too! But the potential consequences of operating this week are just too severe given the bad hand Mother Nature is dealing. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experience because of the weather and our resulting decision.

That said, despite a forecast of rain and wind, we will give it our best effort tomorrow (Monday). We’ll get the grooming machines out on the snow Sunday evening before the wet weather arrives, to “seal up” the surface and help protect it from this week’s onslaught. But with extreme weather expected during the day, our operations could be reduced or potentially suspended. It will be an hour-by-hour evaluation. Please keep that in mind if you plan to visit Monday.

Thanksgiving Weekend

Looking ahead, we’re planning to reopen Friday with all of our West Village base area services and a healed-up snowpack based on projections of colder weather and a little new snow Thursday night. The plan is to operate four lifts: Pine Marten, Sunshine Accelerator, Skyliner and Sunrise. We’ll update you later this week on more specific details. In the meantime, have a Happy Thanksgiving and please join us in appealing to Mother Nature for better weather at the end of the week.

Snowfall Data West Village

snowfall_since_3_pm 1
snowfall_last_24_hours 1
snowfall_last_3_days 1
snowfall_last_7_days 26
snowfall_season 107

Snowfall Data Mid Mountain

snowfall_since_3_pm 1
snowfall_last_24_hours 1
snowfall_last_3_days 1
snowfall_last_7_days 26
snowfall_season 114

Weather Sensor Data

time Nov 20, 2017 06:00 AM
wv-base
wv-temp
sunrise-temp 0
pine-temp 31.99
northwest-temp 31.33
summit-temp
wv-rh
pine-rh 100
summit-rh
sunrise-wind-avg
sunrise-wind-max
sunrise-wind-dir
pine-wind-avg 36
pine-wind-max 50
pine-wind-dir 198
northwest-wind-avg 0
northwest-wind-max 0
northwest-wind-dir 239
summit-wind-avg
summit-wind-max
summit-wind-dir

Weather data, conditions quote, and webcam images are from lovely folks at mtbachelor.com